Dear Parents and Guardians,
I am pleased that the Elkhorn Area School district has launched our 1:1 computing initiative (a computing device for each student).
A committee of stakeholders spent several months studying 1:1 initiatives, the positive results, and what model would be best for our students. What we found was that excellence in education requires that technology is seamlessly integrated throughout the educational program.Technology immersion will not diminish the vital role of the teacher. To the contrary, it will enhance it by transforming the teacher from a director of learning to a facilitator of learning. Learning results from the continuous dynamic interaction among students, educators, parents and the extended community.
Having come to Elkhorn from a school district that had a 1:1 computing program in place for three years, I will conclude by sharing with you what you can expect based on my experience.
- The computers are just a tool and will be used when the tool is appropriate, not all day.
- Students will have greater opportunities to share their creativity. SEE Related Video
- Students writing will improve as they write more, revise more, and peer review more.
- There will be bumps along the way as students, staff, and parents learn how and when to use the devices, but in the end all will come out ahead.
- Student achievement will increase.
- Students who may have been previously disengaged will now be engaged in ways which he/she have never seen.
- Parents are in charge of the devices at home, you’ll want to set your home guidelines and rules. Personally, I do not allow web based devices in unsupervised areas, for example: bedrooms.
- Students will learn to become responsible cyber citizens and develop strong technology skills. Despite people’s perceptions that this comes easy to children, they are learned skills and must be taught, practiced and refined.
Please be sure to review the linked resources above to learn more about our 1:1 initiative.
Superintendent of Schools
Elkhorn Area School District